Sunday, June 26, 2011

Zero Inbox.

About a week ago, I tried this new thing called the "Zero Inbox Philosophy". The goal of this is to keep an empty inbox. The main course of action for this is deal with the emails as they come into your inbox, and to not ignore them and leave them there. I went through my inbox and discovered a plethora of "Daily Deals" from Newegg.com. I love Newegg, but their emails can be annoying. And by annoying, I mean I receive two emails from them every morning at about 5 AM. Now, to make it worse, the two emails are the same damn thing. So I am woken up and I delete two emails then struggle to go back to sleep. I went through my inbox and I set up a few more folders/labels than the usual: Services and Receipts. Anything that I have received that is a receipt or some sort of order confirmation, goes into the Receipts folder. Anything that is a welcome message, password reset, or something important from some service that I use, goes into the Services folder. This has cleaned out my inbox. It is empty. I have proof! LOOKIE:

This has made me feel somewhat accomplished. Now I know that my inbox is nothing compared to those who receive a hundred emails a day. But I am looking to keep this going because I like looking at no emails when I open my inbox. What helps with this process is the fact that I receive emails on my phone, so I can deal with them as soon as they arrive. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone.

I have decided on the color scheme for the Mac. It will be a White base coat that will be covered by these two colors: The exterior will be this Blue, and the interior will be this Orange. The interior will be lit up using these Fans. I am also thinking about a few 4" UV Cold Cathode Lights to make the interior glow through the perforated aluminum. I have the Mac mostly torn apart.


It was a pain in the ass, but it fits together perfectly. The power supply is effing huge and inhabits the entire bottom of the chassis. I need to find the Allen Wrench to remove the center section from the side panels. This will help make the painting a little easier and I can keep all the screws their original stainless or black colors. That is the task for tomorrow, while I work on prepping other parts for paint. I will paint and let is completely cure for a few days before I begin to reassemble. By the time I finish painting and such, I should be able to order the fans that I need for the case. I also need a power splitter so I can plug all the fans in and keep the wiring simple. The best part about the Mac G5 is the fact that they have a metal divider between the CPU and PCI slots which is a perfect place to mount the splitter. It is also pretty central to all the fans so hopefully I don't need any extensions. I just wish I had the means to add a fan controller so I can turn down/silence the fans when not using the machine for anything than requires heavy lifting. But I can't be too choosy. But just doing some research, I think I found a solution: Lian Li PCI Slot Fan Controller. It lets me choose between three three speeds and I can control three fans with each one. Two of these would take up the remaining PCI slots and I would be able to control my fans, and still let me have the switch for my UV lights.

I am looking forward to really getting this project underway. I want to have a truely unique Mac that looks good, but still performs, being 6 years old. The Dual CPU design is a little dated, but it still works. The only issues I have with it is that Apple has fucked me over. Since their move to Intel, all the new software supports only Intel CPUs. Which, I don't completely blame them, but when they (Apple), tout the fact that their computers last longer and people are still using Macs based on the PowerPC CPU, it is just strange that they decided to cut them off. No Snow Leaopard. No Adobe CS5. But, I will continue to use it for photo editing until the day she dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment