Thursday, June 23, 2011

Root and Gaming Head Phones

Last June, I went into the local Verizon store to cancel the insurance on my phone that decided it no longer wanted to charge. So my mother and I walked in to cancel the insurance on the phone that I no longer use. The very nice guy there offered me the Motorola Droid for $100 with a $50 rebate, or the Motorola Devour for $50. I liked the keyboard of the Devour better, so after a talk with dad [that I had no part of], we departed with me happily exploring my new phone. After about a month or so, I noticed something. My phone was slowing down significantly. My battery was also dying faster and faster. Soon after, my phone decided to stop letting me use it as a phone. No phone calls. No text messaging. No GPS. So much for a smart phone. I returned it to discover that my antennae was dead. So new phone arrives in the mail. After another month, I began to research. I found a tested and proven way to gain Root access to my phone. I decided to go for it. After about an hour of pounding away at the keyboard and figuring out the Command Prompt, I had gained the Root access I had desired. Soon after this I killed [read: deleted] many of the Verizon installed apps like VZ Navigator, V Cast Music, CityID, and the Help. Soon after that I noticed that my battery was lasting longer, and my phone was running smoother, for how underpowered it was. I also replaced the launcher program to one that also helped speed up my phone and let me customize it. I was living the good life with a polished turd of a phone. But the problem monster soon reared its ugly head. My Market stopped working. I kept trying to download updates and it said that the download was starting, but never actually downloaded. So a short call to Verizon and they sent me a new one. I was still having some issues with my market, but I was able to get some apps I had previously. I gained the Root access on this new handset, and I was back in business. Once I downloaded my Root File Explorer, I went on a deleting rampage. Anything I didn't use, I deleted. Gone. Sped up my phone once again. Battery life in improving.

So here is my advice: Root your Android phone. It makes a world of difference. Newer phones might not benefit in the short term, but down the road, it will help you power up your device.

Now I have been hearing all this talk about this little program/service called Skype. I am looking into finally making the Skype leap. But here is the large issue with that: I do not have a mic, nor do I own a web cam. The cam issue would be solved if I decided to buy a Macbook Pro. But here is the main issue with web cams: while great at video, I would like a better audio experience. Now I don't just wanna buy a mic and stand it in front of me. I would like a nice pair of "gaming" head phones. While targeted at gamers, they all have a common feature: a built in mic. I would sure as hell rather have the video and use the headset to actually talk to the person. And Maybe I might jump into a experiment with a little online gaming. Or set up a VPN and have a cross state "LAN" party. It would be nice to be able to talk to my friends while being a dick at the same time. I do love my Senneheiser head phones. They have great sound quality, and they are comfy, even after hours of wearing them. I am looking into the Thermaltake Shock One. Yes, they are almost $100. I have read good reviews on this headset. I would rather pay more for quality than save money and hate the headset a few months later. And the Thermaltake colors will match my red/black computer theme that I will be using them with. I will look into other options also and let everyone know what ends up happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment