Wednesday, June 29, 2011

OS X vs. Windows

Most people pose the question: Mac or PC? But let's be clear: a Mac is a PC. PC stands for Personal Computer. So the whole "I'm a PC" and "I'm a Mac" ads are incorrect. Every person who owns their own computer and uses it is a PC, or at least in my opinion. I understand that it has become a simple way to differentiate between the two platforms, but it is incorrect. So I like to ask the question: OS X or Windows? That is the main difference between a Macbook Pro and my Compaq Presario CQ60. The other main difference is the fact that Apple assembles the laptop in their own facilities. They do use parts that are readily available from retailers. Microsoft does not make the laptops that Windows ships on. Windows send the current generation OS to the OEMs and they install it and then put their own little touches on it [AKA Bloatware]. These are the two differences in the computers. There are also many others, but those are the base two. All the other differences are just little things on how the OS handles certain things.

I would like to make it known that while I am writing this, I am watching the 2011 WWDC Keynote Address.

1. Upgrading
One thing I love about Windows laptops is the fact that the OEMs make it easy for a person to upgrade their laptop. Need more RAM? Buy a sitck and throw it in. Apple has a much different policy on upgrades. They prefer that you take the laptop or desktop to the local Apple store and have them upgrade the product. But here is the kicker: They overprice the products and what it takes to upgrade them. I know that everything fits together in such a particular way that an average user might not be able to do so on their own. But for the advanced users, we prefer to spend a lot less money for the upgrade part and rip open the computer and do it ourselves. I feel that upgrades are something that everyone should consider when purchasing a computer. When I build a computer for someone, I look to the future. I wonder if they will want to play games, or if they just use the computer for viewing photos and checking email. That helps determine everything that I pick out. I pick out everything for a specific reason.

2. Propritary Ports.
There are some universal ports that we are all familiar with: USB, Firewire, SD. But there are some that are universal to Windows computers, but not on OS X computers. They handle external displays differently. My laptop has a VGA out port on it. Macbooks use a Mini Display Port to handle the external display. They then have a Mini Display Port on all their Apple Cinema Displays so they are "compatible". But if you want to use another display, you have to buy a Mini Display Port adaptor for your input of choice. Apple recently introduced Thunderbolt, formally known as Light Peak. Light Peak is a very promising technology that is able to replace most of not all the cables we have. It is an fiber optic based cable that can carry data, video, and audio. I applaud Apple for taking the chance and incorperating Thunderbolt into their new products. But where are the Thunderbolt connected products? It would have been nice for Apple to collaborate with companies to produce Thunderbolt accessories to accompany the launch. And to top it off, they made the port the same shape as a Mini Display Port.

3. Start Menu Vs. Dock.
I will be honest: I love the OS X dock, to a certain extent. The main issue I have with it is that it take up more screen space than the Windows Taskbar. I always hide the dock. This is not to say that I hate the Windows Taskbar. I am familiar with it. I love it, or at least the later interations. It has become easier to use and more polished. The Win. XP taskbar was a giant mess to me. I have never liked the Quick Launch buttons. They were small, and everytime you did some sort of upgrade or install a new program, it always added a Quick Launch button and a Desktop shortcut. This is fine for an average user. But for someone like me, this irritated me like none other. I always had to watch carefully to uncheck these options. But back to the Start Menu. I like the new version (Vista and WIn7), which contains all the programs in a single, scroll list. I hated the pop up lists of WinXP. It makes it very easy to find what you need. The dock is a great place to "place" you most used Apps. But if you want to use something else, you have to go through Finder. Finder is very well organized, but I don't want another window open to find an application and then have to close it. But this will all change with OS X Lion, which include Launchpad. When launched, it overlays an iOS like icon grid of your apps. Easy to find, and easy to use.

4. Windows Media Player Vs. iTunes.
I loathe iTunes. But this doesn't mean I love Windows Media Player. While WMP is pretty good, it only handles certain file types. As someone who loves their media, this makes it a difficult program to use solely. iTunes is sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow. It takes forever to launch. It freezes. When you launch it, and there is an update, it won't let you do anything until that annoying little pop-up tells you that you suck for not having the latest iTunes. Here is something I don't understand: For a company that claims to have a better computing experience, why does iTunes suck so much? The iTunes delevopment team doesn't know how to patch the program. Every update, it is a full installer that unistalls your previous iTunes install and then reinstalls it. But it is not just iTunes. It adds in QuickTime, which is required for iTunes; Bonjour, which is for sharing and security holes; and a couple other small installs. The current 32-Bit install is a 77.0 MB download. That is fine for the new install. The download for me to "update" my iTunes is 68.05 MB. The Apple Software Updater is just as shitty. It tries to get you to install Safari and other software that I don't want or need. I also dislike how you have to signed into the iTunes store to be able to do anything to your library. Want to get Album Artwork? Sign in. Download a podcast? Sign in. Bathe in baby unicorn blood? Sign in. WMP is not perfect either. I do use it a lot. It is a pretty good organizer of your media, and it helps that it is tightly intergrated with Windows. I am currently using my Windows laptop, and it taps into my Libraries. So I can customize my Libraries in Windows, and WMP will update itself. That makes it easier. But my biggest gripe with both is that they don't support a unified Lossless codec. Neither supports FLAC. Both have their own lossless codecs that makes it difficult to take your music cross platform, much less streaming. Let's fix this.

5. Home Theater PCs.
Both Windows and OS X computers can be used as pretty good media centers for your home theater. They both have their own software to do this. I like Front Row. It is slick, and easy to navigate. It also lets your watch your iTunes purchased media. Windows Media Center wins this won by a small margin for me. The reason: Netflix integration. I love Netflix. There is also a WMC plugin that lets you switch between WMC and Hulu Desktop. In my household we have subscriptions to both. This gives us access to all the media we can handle. The biggest downsize to a Windows based HTPC is the size. Yes, you can make a small one. But nothing will come close to the Mac Mini. But the Mac Mini is overpriced for old hardware. Is this a tradeoff you are willing to make? I'll take size over old hardware anyday.

6. Pre-built Purchases.
I prefer to build my own desktop. But I know that I will always buy a laptop from a store. I hate how OEMs install all the fucking trials on Windows laptops. I buy my laptop, then spend a day cleaning it up to almost a OEM clean install. But Apple wins this one by far. You turn on the laptop, and you are ready to go. Well, you set up your user name and such, but that is consistent with all computers. Once you finish that, it is ready to rock. I would of course spend some time to customize it the laptop as I want it to be. But I can just use it.

7. Viruses.
Virus. It is an everyday threat, whether it is a organic virus or a computer virus. Windows is more prone to Virus attacks. Why? As of May 2011, Windows commands an 88.67% of the world market share. Think about the Law of Averages. Would you rather have 10 chances to hit a target 5 times, or 100 chances? Everyone would take the 100 chances. This is the same thought with viruses. They are there to do something; take personal info, bank info, etc. Why go after a platform where you have less chance of getting that information? It would be easier because many Mac users don't believe that an Anti Virus is necessary. Apple has always recommended an anti virus, but many people don't believe they do. I guess browse and your own risk. And being smart about what you are doing is a great way to ensure you don't get a virus.

I feel like I could continue for hours. If you are wondering, I am both OS X and Windows. I use my Windows computers more than my Mac. I use my Mac mostly for my photo editing than anything else. I try to keep it free and clear of other programs so I can dedicate most of the 6GBs of RAM to Photoshop. I play games, so I use my Windows desktop for that. I just feel that people should know what they need and want in a computer. People just shouldn't buy a computer cause they feel that one is vastly superior than the other. One bad experience with a slow Windows computer doesn't mean that all Widnows computers are slow. A computer that is 2x or 3x more expensive doesn't mean that it is better. For me? I will always build my own desktop for gaming. But my laptop will be a Macbook Pro. Why? Just a change of pace. I would like an updated Mac to use. It is just what I feel like doing when I have the money. My friend Ricky just recently bought a car, and I suggested to look at a Chevy Impala. He told me this: "No more Chevy. All my past cars have been a Chevy and I just want a change and something different". I agree. A change of pace will do wonders for anyone. I don't prefer one platform over the other, I just know what I am getting out of each.

"I've been wallowing in my own chaotic
And insecure delusions."

No comments:

Post a Comment