Monday, June 27, 2011

SketchUp and my favorite pliers.

I'm finding my newest obsession/hobby: Google SketchUp. I have had this program install on all my computers [except the HTPC] for a while now. I have used it every now and then, but never really got into really harnessing its power. I really sat down and started to use it with the mock up of the case mod I have currently halted in favor of the Mac project. I have disassembled the computer, and now I'm working on a 3D model of the Mac with a somewhat close representation of the color scheme. I have the basic outer shell of the case finished, which took me a few hours to complete. Next, I'm going to work on getting the rear I/O ports, hopefully finishing tonight. I'm working on trying to use real measurements that I'm taking from my case. The next big project will be the interior modelling. That will be a bitch and a half. I think I may have to do a large amount in a separate file and then import it into the home file. But that is something that I will tackle when the issue arrives to me.

A few years ago, I bought a pair of pliers. I bought these pliers for my 3D Design class. We were starting a project where we were creating animals out of 16G wire. I bought these particular pliers because they had wire cutters integrated into the pliers. These pliers are made by Kobalt, which I believe is the house brand of Lowes. These pliers have nice rubber grip handles that make them comfy to use for a long period of time. I have used these pliers for everything since I bought them. I used them today to remove screws that I didn't have a screwdriver bit to use with them. I love them. I will always keep them and use them until they die. Which I hope they never do. I have certainly gotten my $15 that I paid for them.

Now for the update on my Mac. I have completely disassemble the case. I have certainly been impressed with Apple's engineering of the Mac. I was only disappointed this morning when I found something that I thought was below Apple: Rivets. I found about 10 rivets that hold the two pieces of the inner shell together. I was certain surprised by this because my $20 was put together with rivets. I would expect a $3,000 machine would be rivet free. But there are so few, I am not upset. I am just wondering if I should remove them or not. I am thinking that I will so I can paint the interior more easily. Then reassemble the shell with the rivets and then paint the exterior. I just have to be carefully so I don't scratch the paint. I have a small habit of doing that so hopefully since the interior will be painted and the exterior primed, then assemble and paint the exterior all at once. I just need a roll of two 2" painter's tape. I am hoping that I get this started this week. I have the hard part done. Now I just need to purchase the paint then do some painting. I will start prepping and priming the pieces as I get them ready and out to the garage. So hopefully I can get some pics from my phone or DSLR and maybe some video so everyone can see me at work :)

No comments:

Post a Comment