Sunday, June 19, 2011

Here is the Party Switch I imagined while reading Emily's blog [Read Here]. She was discussing politics and that is not something I want to get into today, mainly because that is a discussion that is going no where. But I am currently at Carribou Coffee in Westerville [I think], and something has got me thinking: Do people meet up at Starbucks to have their Bible beating meetings? I know that Starbucks is the secret meeting place of the Mac faithful. But it would be much more awesome if it was more like the speakeasies during Prohibition. But anyway. Every time I come to Carribou to relax and just do some work in a place that is not my bedroom, I notice 3 things: 1] There are always more Windows based PCs vs. Macs, 2] There is always a Bible meeting going on, and finally 3] There are never any cute girls here that are not working. Speaking of cute girls, I haven't seen the one cute girl that works here in a while :( But back to my main topic. I have only been inside a Starbucks a handful of times, and never for a real extended period of time. But during those few shorts visits, and one long one, I have never seen a person reading their Bible and taking notes. It is always younger people with their expensive Macbooks. And why the fuck do you need to take notes on the Bible? It is not like a dictionary where there is a new edition every year that makes the necessary changes in its text. The Bible hasn't changed in over a thousand years, give and take a few centuries. Now by changes, I'm not talking about the linguistic changes to make the Bible easier to read by the general public. I do not count the Bible being translated from Latin as a change. The stories stay the same. The chapters are the same. The morals are the same. So where is the need to take notes? I took notes on the Bible while in High School because I was being tested on the Bible. And these exams were difficult. Even for people, like me, who have read the Bible cover to cover a few times. Do you find that surprising? Yes, I have read the Bible. Do I necessarily believe what the Bible is trying to tell us? Yes and No. I do not believe the Bible to be historically accurate. I do believe the authors were trying to teach us some basic morals and simple guidelines on how to live. But as humans we tend to follow what we perceive to be part of our history. I'm not saying that the historical context of the Bible is completely falsified. David was a badass. Just saying. He knew what he wanted, and did what was necessary to obtain that. He sent a loyal soldier to the front line and gave the commander orders to back the rest of the army back so the soldier would be killed. Why? He wanted to fuck his wife. Some might call this immoral or whatever. But he would not fuck her at first because she was married. So he solved the marriage problem. But the Bible would have us to believe that David was a holy man who was a hero and part of the royal bloodline that produced Jesus. But he was a ruthless man who spread his carnage across the middle east. His army would pillage and burn cities, then salt their fields to kill any food and prevent anything being grown for a long time. Any Army today that modeled themselves after the Israelite Army would be feared by all. The ruthlessness of the Israelites combined with modern technological weapons? That would be an Army that would destroy all in its path. Remember "Total War" by Sherman in Georgia? That would be child's play. Nothing would be left standing. Some may call this overkill, or unnecessary, but think about it. If you want to defeat your enemy, first exhaust all peaceful means. If they do not work, make them regret that. Burning fields means that they can not supply the food necessary to feed their population. Destroy bridges. Obliterate railroads. Demolish airfields. Blockade and cripple their ports. If they have no means to sustain themselves, they can not survive. Think about it: cut off their resources, they will figure their shit out quickly. You can do this with minimal casualties. If they refuse to comply, then move in. Pillage. Burn. Destroy. Make it so that when it is over, they can not do anything except focus on rebuilding. It may be brutal, but it would make other nations around the world think twice about fucking with you. Make an example out of a country, and others will take notice. This would in a way help pave the way to peace. Or usher in the Second Imperial Age. Either way.

I feel that this is why I love playing Empire: Total War and RTS games like Empire Earth and Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. I think I am going to play an extended game of EE tonight while working on my case mods and tearing apart the Mac. I meant to play last night, but I stated talking to Madison and ended up having an extended conversation with her, which was very pleasant. I miss having her at work. :( I have figured out how to accurately describe my strategy when playing EE: I have build up resources and defend, then counter attack once defending if finished. I usually build up a couple armies: One with ranged weapons to defend because they can shoot over my walls, and other army is a combination of ranged units, infantry, and war machines. But Enough of that.

Now I wish to ask those very few people that read for their vote/opinion: For my next computer upgrade, should I go with two Video Cards, or a single Video Card with an SSD for Windows?

1 comment: