Sunday, July 3, 2011

The HTPC Content Pipeline

I have a strong stand on a certain topic of contension between consumers and media companies. I feel that purchasing a copy of a DVD or Audio CD gives us [the consumer] the right to make archival, backup, and digital copies of that physical media. I have a project that I have been working on, although been a bit lazy about it lately. My project: to make digital copies of all the DVDs that we own in our household. This is a monumental task seeing as there are a couple hundred DVDs in the collection. The digitizing of the content isn't difficult. It is just a tedious and time consuming task. Handbrake and DVD Fab HD Decrypter are the two tools needed in this process. We currently have a 2TB hard drive installed in the HTPC. This makes them accessible to anyone who wishes to watch a movie on the HDTV. We have equipped the HTPC with a mini keyboard that has a track pad integrated on the board. I also purchased a Windows Media Center remote that allows us to control Windows Media Center, which has become the central media hub. This house is predominantly Windows. It is just a fact. Windows 7's Homegroup makes dropping and retreiving the video files easy. The wireless is a little slow at times when transferring the files, but I think that doing so overnight will help with the transfer speeds when I'm not downloading new Steam games. A Wireless-N Router is the next upgrade for the home network. This will bring about (hopefully) faster transfer speeds. Then a wireless printer bridge will allow the hook up of my faithful Samsung laserjet printer and allow for us to hide it but be accessible to everyone who needs it.

Back to the HTPC. Here are the specs of my custom brewed HTPC:
CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1 GHz Dual-Core
Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-M Micro-ATX
RAM: 2x2GB Kingston HyperX 1600
HDD: Seagate 2TB 5900 RPM
ODD: Multi-function DVD Writer Combo Drive
Case: Antec NSK2480 DT
PSU: Antec EarthWatts 380 Watts

The case was custom painted with White and Key Lime Green accents. The Power Supply has been (mostly) custom sleeved with UV Green and Black 1/8" sleeving. Each wire is indiviually sleeved in alternating Green and Black. The case sits in the home theater center and the front is about the size of an A/V Receiver. When I next return home, I will be bringing back a set of 2.1 Harmon/Kardon speakers, the only surviving pieces of the old Dell computer. They work great still and will add some much needed boost to movies and tv shows. Eventually we will be investing a monstrous surround sound system to make everything sound as great as it looks. At that point, a Blu-Ray drive will be added.

We no longer have cable here. We instead spend our money in a better way: Netflix and Hulu Plus. For under $20 a month we gain access to all the HD content we desire. We are not limited to show times. Hulu Plus streams in 720P HD, which is perfect with a 32" HDTV (although I think I scored a 1080P one). While our Media Center is not perfect, it is better than what some people are using. While my parents have a Blu-Ray player and pretty good home theater system (although aging), they are limited to DishNetwork television. Yes, they get sports channels, but my dad is interested in the prospect of an HTPC and smaller monthly bill for their tv content. The thing is, I don't think his home network can handle a good HD stream from Netflix or Hulu Plus. The wireless router from their ISP is located in the basement, and I don't think that father is too keen on running cables, although it would be the best option.

Here is a list of HTPC upgrades/tweaks I wish to make in the future:

1. Hulu Desktop Plug-In for Windows Media Center
2. Blu-Ray Optical Drive
3. Kick Ass Speakers
4. Logitech diNOVO Edge Keyboard
5. Second 2TB drive

I had this idea of what my HTPC would be like. I have acheived that look. Now I am working on internals and accessories to go with the HTPC. I would recommend an HTPC to anyone. It costs more up front, but in the long run it saves you money. Basic digital cable/satelite packages are getting expensive. Less than $20 a month gives you access to a multitude of content. Add to that the ability to buy/rent content from Apple, Amazon, and other sources makes it an attractive option. Season Passes from these sources often give you a discount, maybe 10% off each episode. Amazon doesn't charge you for your purchase all up front. It charges you each time an episode is released, which makes it easier on the wallet to have it spread out to $3 a week instead of $50 up front. Don't forget the options of having DVDs mailed to you by Netflix. This is an interesting and powerful content delivery combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment