Friday, July 8, 2011

Firday: Tech Blog

7:50 AM: Phone's alarm clock wakes me up with my ringtone "Waste" by Staind. After turning off alarm, I am alerted to 3 emails, which I immediately check and delete to keep my "Zero Inbox" going.

10:00 AM: Arrive at Caribou Coffee in Heath, OH. Working on my laptop to kill time. I'm searching through the Android Market to find an effective note/document app that will help me with this venture. I have a couple contenders, but I'm not sure if they will help fulfill my need. I think I found the one. I'm gonna try out Jota Text Editor for Android. Hopefully this will become a part of my regular blogging routine. I'm just wasting time before I need to leave for my dr's appointment and I am trying a new extension from Chrome that adds Facebook events to my Google Calender. This could be interesting.

10:30 AM: I don't think people really think of an ATM as a computer, but it is one of the most widely used computers in the United States. This dated piece of technology is widely considered to be the leader of the upcoming robot rebellion.

10:55 AM: I am sitting here in the doctor's office getting the preliminary tests/questions from the hot nurse. While she is taking my blood pressure, I see the Windows Software Update dialogue box pop up in the middle of the screen. It baffles me as to why medical professionals are still using paper, pen and Windows XP. There is a strong need for the medical community to embrace the available technolgy to improve the way that medical records and patient privacy is kept. I have to hand it to Apple. When they released the iPad, they made an group of apps aimed at medical professionals. These apps would be able to keep records, and to let the doctors show the patients and families charts, x-rays, proceedures, and more. And yet hospitals don't make the move to embrace this tehcnology. Our largest busniesses are stuck in the dark ages. Any computer (Or for better results, iMacs)with bluetooth enabled, you can transmit the files for srchiving and safe keeping. I understand that smaller family doctors might not be able to afford the technology, but with the paper saved, it will pay for itself in no time.

11:15 AM: I'm sitting here at Brown's Transmission. I am using Jota Text Editor. It is a pretty solid app that doesn't have any frills. It lets me input text. This is better than any note taking app because I can write out a full post or keep an extensive tech log for a post. And it is not limited by character count (well, 1 million).

12:30 PM: There was nothing much to watch on DishNetwork. So using a 15-pin D-Sub cable in conjunction with an auxilary audio cable, I was able to connect my laptop with the 46" Samsung HDTV. We attempted to watch Wilfred, but the wireless here is so slow that it woulnd't buffer enough to watch the 25 minutes of video, including the commercials.

11:00 PM: The rest of the day has been relatively tech-free, despite the light usage of my DEVOUR for text messaging. My phone is connected to my laptop right now, but that is just to charge it. For some reason, Windows doesn't want to mount the sdcard so I can pull the .txt file from Jota off of it. So I'm thinking that I may need to just copy the txt file word for word... And that might take a while since I took some extensive notes in it.

All in all, today was a relatively technology free day. The morning was pretty decent day, but it has been a slow day nonetheless. I was occupied for most the day due to spending some time with Miranda. I will try this experiment again some time. When I am able to purchase a tablet, I will try a week without my desktop and laptop and live only in the tablet/smartphone realm. This may prove a little difficult, but I will try to make it work. I will have to have people help me set out a few ground rules; like is it cheating if I use my tablet to take control of my desktop or HTPC to watch a movie or tc show. But this is a challenge I will cross when the proper time comes.

1 comment: