Sunday, July 24, 2016

Google Fit Review

Google Fit Main Screen

Most of the people reading this know that I have started running in the past month or so in a effort to get in shape. I don't have the goal of running a marathon, or anything like that. My main goal is to be able to be there in the future for my daughter. In an effort to accomplish this, I have enlisted the help of a fitness tracking app. I was using MapMyRun, but I have decided to try Google Fit. I have a Nexus 6, which came with Google Fit preinstalled. I have this app tracking my step count on a daily basis, so I thought, why not? So here is my initial impression of Google Fit. Note: I have only been using this for a couple runs. I will update when I have more miles logged with the app.
Workout Screen

The Good: Ease of use. Let's be honest: Why do we like a certain app, OS, or car? Because they are easy to use, and just work. I mean, isn't that the whole campaign around Mac OS X? This is a big plus for me for this app. Ease of use while using one hand to hold the phone at a stop light with the pup's leashes in the other hand is a big issue. There are minimal buttons found on the activity tracker screen. With a lack of buttons, it makes the ones you want and need to use easy find. As you can see in the screenshot on the left, you have three buttons at your use: Volume, Pause/Continue workout session, and one to lock it. The lock system is really easy to use. When you don't touch the screen for a period of time, it locks the workout pause button. To pause it while locked, press and slide to the left. Simple. Once unlocked, the lock toggle button because the stop button, which ends your session. I like that is just works. It have an easy layout, which is a great thing to have when you are tired and trying to end the workout logging. Also, no ads. Thank you. I don't run enough to pay for a run tracking app, so not having ads is a boon. I can't count the number of times I have had to delay my runs because of ads popping up on MapMyRun.

The Bad: So here is the main fault that I have found: Unless the app loads correctly, which it didn't for me after I saved my run, it can be annoying to close out completely, and restart. Luckily, there isn't a opening sequence so to speak, and it opens to the main page. But once loaded properly, everything shows up in a vertical scroll format which is easy to use. It brings up all the information I want at a glance.


Records Card followed by Weight Card
Record Card followed by Weight Card
Recent Workouts Card
Overall, I would currently recommend to someone looking for a fitness app. It lets me set the goals that I want to set, and automatically tracks them. Another plus for me is the ability to set the voice feedback intervals to half miles. I am not running a lot currently, so having that half mile encouragement and pacing helps me out a lot. It also has maps tracking, so you can see your routes. It ties to Google Maps, so 99% of roads and walking trails/paths are there. On the main screen, it store your goals, personal records, recent activities, and more. I don't have to go into separate menus to find your most recent workouts. I'm going to be using it for a couple weeks so I can fully see how it works for a long term solution, but so far, so good.


No comments:

Post a Comment